FREE | FOR ALL AGES
I was born in Los Angeles on May 29, 1980. My family relocated to Minneapolis in 1990 and I lived there for 25 years. As of July 2015 I live in Phoenix, AZ with my wife of 13 years and our two young daughters.
I Began playing drums at age 11, learning the basic functions of groove from Mark Nash (drummer from Grammy-nominated CCM band PFR). I lost interest in most everything else in my life once I discovered music. Lots of playing in local churches and garage bands immediately followed, and I also participated in every school ensemble that I could. I attended Bethel University (1998-2002) while playing local jobbing gigs in the Twin Cities (a heavy emphasis on jazz and gospel at that time). Through my college years I studied extensively with internationally acclaimed avant-jazz drummer David King (The Bad Plus, Jeff Beck, others), and also renowned rock/pop drummer Michael Bland (Prince, Madonna, Jonny Lang, others).
As of 2015 I hold the drum chair with both Grammy-nominated songwriter Sara Bareilles and independent Nashville artist Ben Rector. I also perform occasionally with multiple DoveAward-winning worship leader Paul Baloche, Grammy-nominated songwriter Joel Hanson, and Minneapolis-based singer/songwriter Sara Groves. Additionally, I am the Head Musical Director at Christ’s Church of the Valley in Phoenix AZ, and before that I held faculty positions in the music departments at Bethel University and Northwestern University (both located in St Paul, MN). I often conduct clinics and master classes at colleges and churches nationally. I do session work with local and national producers, and on most days I spend almost as much time programming and running tracks with Ableton Live as I do playing the drums.
In the past I’ve performed or recorded with Owl City, Carly Rae Jepsen, Go Fish, Michael Tait (of DC Talk / The Newsboys), The Hondeydogs, Larnelle Harris, The Blenders, Shai Linne, Cloud Cult, Jason Gray, Misty Boyce, Mick Sterling, Halloween Alaska, Caitlyn Smith, Molly Maher, Erik Koskinen, MC Carnage, the Bill Mike Band, Look Alive, Vicky Emerson, Desdamona, Power Of Ten, and many more.
I began endorsing Risen Drums in 2007, Paiste Cymbals and Mono Cases in 2010, Vic Firth and Remo Percussion and Canopus snare drums in 2012, and Alclair Audio in-ear monitors in 2013.
Additional Misc Media Links
- A 2013 Drumhead Magazine feature article on my career so far
- Vic Firth artist spotlight feature video
- The Tonight Show with Jay Leno performance with Sara Bareilles
- America’s Got Talent performance with Carly Rae Jepsen and Owl City
- Craig Ferguson performance with Sara Bareilles
- Conan performance with Owl City
- LIVE! with Kelly and Michael performance with Owl City (“acoustic” arrangements)
- A Drumeo feature solo performance of Sara Bareilles’ “I Choose You”
- Product demos for Paiste Cymbals with mycymbal.com
- DrumCam footage of Ben Rector’s “Follow You” live in St Augustine, FL
- DrumCam footage of Owl City’s “Cave In” live at the University of Akron, OH
- DrumCam footage of Sara Bareilles’s “Chasing The Sun” live in St Louis, MO
- In-studio footage of a gospel-ish tune and a country session for the Miss America pageant
- Music video for Go Fish "If You're Happy And You Know It"
- Informal rudiment lesson video
- Informal soundcheck drum solo
- Amateur footage of MC Carnage album release show, Feb 2010
- Amateur footage of Cory Wong Quartet live performance, Oct 2009
- A drummagazine.com feature on my LED drumset (the first of its kind), known as the Glo Kit